Bachelor of Science Degree
About Our Program
Upon successful completion of the Secondary Education degree program, graduates are licensed to teach grades 6 through 12 in their licensure core content area (English, Mathematics, Science, or Social Studies). Chaminade follows licensure guidelines set by the Hawai‘i Teacher Standards Board. Chaminade graduates are qualified to teach in most states upon completion of the program. All Chaminade University education licensure programs are approved by the Hawai‘i Teacher Standards Board.
Students working toward a Bachelor’s degree must complete a minimum of 120 credit hours of coursework, which includes general education requirements, electives, pre-major requirements (if applicable) and major requirements.
Pre-Major Requirements (18 credit hours)
- PSY 304 Psychology of Adolescence
- ED 201 Intro to Secondary Education
- ED 220 Educational Foundations
- ED 221 Educational Psychology
- ED 222 Educational Technology
- Praxis I/ Core Exam
Upper Division Education Elective (select one):
- ED 421 Literature for Adolescents
- ED 462 Multicultural Education
Major Requirements (27 credit hours)
- ED 326 Introduction to Exceptional Children
- ED 404 Managing School Environments
- ED 408 Assessment
- ED 423 Curriculum & Instruction: Secondary
- ED 427 Teaching in Area of Specialization
- ED 490 Seminar
- ED 495 Student Teaching
- Students must pass the Praxis II (Licensure Area Content Knowledge Assessment) prior to Student Teaching.
Electives (16 credit hours)
Please consult your advisor for elective courses relevant to the specified licensure path (English, Math, Science, or Social Studies).